[PyQt] QtNetwork import problem with PyQt 4.8 and 4.8.1

Brett Stottlemyer brett at stottlemyer.com
Tue Nov 9 20:23:43 GMT 2010

I've got a PyQt application that I'm converting to an exe using py2exe.
When I install the app on a new machine and run it, I get the following
exception.

 File "C:\<Location>\hub\Application.py", line 29, in <module>
    from PyQt4.QtNetwork import *
  File "PyQt4\QtNetwork.pyc", line 12, in <module>
  File "PyQt4\QtNetwork.pyc", line 10, in __load

I've got the following in my py2exe options:

                   includes=["encodings", "encodings.*", "imports", "sip",
"PyQt4.QtNetwork",

                            "PyQt4.Qsci"

                    ],

I can successfully import QtCore/QtGui/Qsci, it is just QtNetwork that is
giving me trouble.  The installer does install PyQt4.QtNetwork.pyd and
QtNetwork4.dll on the new machine in the lib26 directory with the other
PyQt4.*.pyd ad Qt*.dll files.

Everything was working with previous versions (Qt 4.6).  I'm not sure it
matters, but I'm building the installer with Inno setup.  If I uninstall
PyQt4.8.1 and install PyQt4.7.7 then rebuild, everything works normally,
which leads me to think this is an issue with PyQt and Qt 4.7 (and Python
2.6).  Is anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Brett