[PyQt] QWebView and https

alan moore me at alandmoore.com
Tue May 11 04:47:58 BST 2010

After being fed up with the kiosk modes offered by various browsers, I'm
taking another crack at writing my own minimal browser with pyqt and
QtWebKit for a kiosk application.

Everything is working great, and I'm able to get all the features I want
from this set up.  But there is a problem.  One of the sites I have to
display is https://, and though the certificate is registered with a CA
(starfield), it seems not all browsers recognize the CA and QtWebKit is
one of them.

As a result, because the certificate is being rejected, the page never
loads.

Bottom line:  I need to tell the QWebView.load() method to either accept
this certificate, or ignore certificate errors altogether.  I know this
can be done, but after spending half the day reading through incomplete
documentation I can't figure out how.

Can anyone provide or point me to an example of how this is done?