[PyQt] Request for a binary Mac installer

Jan Haag haag498 at googlemail.com
Sat May 8 07:31:55 BST 2010

On 5/8/10 2:32 AM, David Boddie wrote:
> On Fri May 7 17:47:56 BST 2010, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> Note that while the Qt installers work for multiple system versions (10.4 -
>> 10.6), PyQt must be built for a specific python version.  There are also 2
>> versions of Qt for OS X - Carbon and Cocoa.  So that will make 5 builds to
>> maintain:
>>
>> Qt Carbon for OS X 10.4 (Python 2.3) (is 2.3 even possible? or desirable?)
>> Qt Carbon for OS X 10.5 (Python 2.5)
>> Qt Carbon for OS X 10.6 (Python 2.6)
>
> Is there still a big demand for a Carbon-based Qt? (What happened to Python
> 2.4, by the way?)
>
>> Qt Cocoa for OS X 10.5 (Python 2.5)
>> Qt Cocoa for OS X 10.6 (Python 2.6)
>>
>> This would be for the system Python.  Though the same-python-version build
>> of Pyqt should be usable between the system and python.org Pythons.  You
>> could limit yourself to system versions Apple supports and skip the first
>> one.
>
> Or drop Carbon support and just have two...
Dropping Carbon means dropping 10.4 support; otherwise, the Qt carbon
version doesn't seem to differ from the Cocoa version, only that support
for the former will be given up, as it seems (Apple wants to give up
Carbon, anyway).

>> Another issue is that building *for* the system Python 2.5 on OS X 10.5 is
>> a bit difficult (impossible?) to do *on* OS X 10.6 (the SDKs don't work for
>> this).  And switching Qt Cocoa/Carbon could be messy.  You'd need 4 Macs
>> (or 2 if you can easily switch Qt's) to build the 4 combinations (not
>> counting the oddball 10.4+2.3).
>
> Does Apple ship Python 3 yet? Are developers starting to use it?
It isn't shipped with 10.6 and besides doesn't work at all in 64bit
mode. However, I personally keep a copy around for experimenting... I
don't think there will be a serious demand for it just yet.

> David

Besides all that, Sun's VirtualBox latest beta versions have
experimental support for MacOS X guests, so one might attempt to use
this to set up a sandbox for the build without using a full hardware mac...

The only "problem" with that wold be to run through PackageMaker twice
to create the PyQt subpackage for each Python version, then again to
create the metapackages, which can't be automated, as it seems (maybe
with AppleScript, I don't know and I don't know AppleScript, for that
matter...)

Jan