[PyQt] Request for a binary Mac installer

Jan Haag haag498 at googlemail.com
Fri May 7 16:56:35 BST 2010

On 5/7/10 5:39 PM, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Phil Thompson
> <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 May 2010 09:18:07 -0500, "Edward K. Ream" <edreamleo at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The lack of a binary installer for PyQt on the Mac is becoming
>>> something of an embarrassment for Leo. While it is possible to run the
>>> qt version of Leo on the Mac, it is an extremely painful process that
>>> deters almost all potential users.
>>>
>>> Is there any chance of your being able to create such a thing?
>>
>> If somebody wants to send me an initial script (or whatever it is that is
>> needed) I'd be happy to maintain it.
>
> Thanks for this offer.
>
> Is there any chance that you could work with the Qt people to create a
> single-click installer?  I was only able to build Qt on the mac after
> several hours of futzing around.  There is no way I could automate
> that process--it's way out of my area of expertise.
>
> Edward

I've never worked with this myself, but Mac Installer.app does a fairly
good job at installing multiple packages at once through meta-packages
(.mpkg), which basically install all packages they contain in one go. So
if one could manage to make PyQt into a redistributable .pkg, the rest
should be as easy as creating a meta-package from it and the Nokia
Qt/Cocoa Mac installer package available from their download site.

What's needed is an XCode project file to create the PyQt bundle -- I
have no idea how to do this, but XCode is fairly well documented.

After all, a utility called PackageMaker.app is shipped with the Apple
Developer tools -- I haven't looked at it, but it might be the way to go.

Jan