[PyQt] Display of Japanese Characters on Mac

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Dec 17 22:16:35 GMT 2010

On Friday 17 December 2010, 22:30:20 Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 19:50:21 +0100, Ullrich Martini
>
> <mailbox at ullrich.martini.name> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > here are more datails.
> >
> > I use MacOS 10.6.5, I assume that this is valid for any recent Mac.
> > I assume further that this here does not apply to a non-Mac
> > computer.
> >
> > Enable Japanese Input:
> > - Start System Settings
> > - Under Personal Settings there is a blue flag. Click that
> > - A new Window opens with the Title "Language & Text"
> > - Select the tab input sources
> > - Scroll down to "kotoeri"
> > - Select Kotoeri, then Hiragana (you may select more languages and
> > input methods, but Hiragana is all I need here)
> >
> > see http://redcocoon.org/cab/mysoft.html
> >
> > I assume that other languages have the same issue. Therefore, I
> > would recommend to redo this with other non-latin languages.
> >
> > Entering Japanese text
> > Start the test Program (I attached it again)
> > In the top bar of the screen, next to the clock,  you should see a
> > flag (British, USA, German, whatever the default of your Mac is).
> > Click that flag.
> > Click Hiragana. The flag should change to a white-on-black curly
> > symbol
>
> あ,
>
> > the Japanese "a". If your email Program supports utf-8 correctly,
> > you should be able to see it here
> > (now you can't enter any non-japanese text, on particular you can't
> > type the name of the test program in a shell)
> > Select the window
> > Press 'k' (any consonant would do here) An underlined k should
> > appear Press 'a'  --> Wrong behavior: underlined k disappears; -->
> > Correct behavior: k turns into か, the japanese syllable 'ka'
> >
> > If you see the k disappear you have reproduced the issue.
> >
> > Displaying japanese stuff
> > In my case the second attached program shows something garbled for
> > the string "日本" (japanese for Japan), although I had used an utf-16
> > editor
>
> and
>
> > had made sure it's actually saved it as utf-16. Of course the
> > utf-16
>
> coding
>
> > might get lost during email transport.
> > I delete the garbled stuff with backspace and get the warning
> > "QTextCursor::setPosition: Position '7' out of range"
> >
> > I  have used some japanese characters in this mail, (1) because
> > this clarifies things and (2) to let you or Phil see if your
> > computers can handle japanese characters at all. I assume that if
> > you don't see them
>
> here
>
> > correctly there is no point in trying to reproduce the issue.
>
> Am I right in assuming that pasting the characters into the widgets
> doesn't demonstrate the problem?
>
> If so, can somebody give me equivalent instructions for KDE?

Since input method implementations differ significantly between
different operating systems, I'm pretty certain, that this isn't going
to help Ullrich in any way on the Mac.

Anyway, it seems, that this needs the scim-anthy package (and probably a
related configuration package), and Hirigana can be activated with F6.

Handwaving-ly y'rs,
Pete