[PyQt] Problem with QFileSystemWatcher

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Dec 10 19:25:03 GMT 2010

On 10.12.10 19:10:36, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> On Friday 10 December 2010, 11:08:50 NARCISO, Rui wrote:
> > I don't think permissions are the problem because I tried the with
> > the same file in the current folder and then in the parent folder and
> > it works for the first and it doesn't for the latter...
> >
> > I'm on a Linux workstation accessing hard drives physically stored in
> > a data center elsewhere. Can this be the problem ? I would think not
> > because if it works for a file in the current folder it should work
> > for the parent folder as well since both are in the same hard
> > drive/filer ...
>
> My home is NFS, too. If I remember correctly, Qt uses simple timer based polling for the file system watcher since being multi-platform they cannot rely on any special OS kernel/filesystem feature.

Sure it can, it simply abstracts away the platform-dependent API and
allows to adjust the imlementation depending on the platform. By
providing a class this would be as easy as #ifdef'ing the implementation
code, though in the case of Qt its a bit more complex. Qt has
implementations for linux' inotify and dnotify, kqueue from BSD,
fsevents from mac (if I understand that correctly) and windows API too.
It also has a polling-fallback if none of the above are available.

Andreas

--
Look afar and see the end from the beginning.