[PyQt] pyuic4 problem

David Quinn daithiocuinn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 01:36:54 BST 2010

I've successfully installed SIP and PyQt on a mac running snow leopard
using the following commands (courtesy of
http://www.expobrain.net/2010/06/22/install-pyqt4-in-snow-leopard):

Within SIP
$ export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6
$ python configure.py -n  --arch=i386 -s MacOSX10.6.sdk
$ make
$ sudo make install

Within PyQt4:
$ export QTDIR=/Developer/Applications/Qt
$ python configure.py --use-arch=i386
$ make
$ sudo make install

When I run Python, I can import PyQt4. However pyuic4 is not installed as
far as I can tell as I get the error message:

-bash: pyuic4: command not found

when I try to convert a .ui into a .py file.

I edited my .bash_profile as I previously had another version of Python and
this is what it currently is:

# set path to be default mac python (2.6)
PATH="/Library/usr/bin/python:${PATH}"
export PATH

test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh

# The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
PYTHONPATH="/Users/david/Apps/PyQt-4.7.3:${PYTHONPATH}"
export PYTHONPATH

# Setting PATH for MacPython
# The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
PYTHONPATH="/Users/david/Dropbox/qgis_scratch:${PYTHONPATH}"
export PYTHONPATH

Do I need to change a path setting for pyuic4 to work? I previously had
pyuic4 and PyQt working on Python 2.5 before reinstalling everything on
python 2.6.1

David