[PyQt] Porting PyQt GUI between platforms.

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Thu Aug 5 05:36:17 BST 2010

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 11:39:50 +1000, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> Thank you - your are quite clear in what you say.  It is unfortunate
that
> PyInstaller manual gives compilation instructions for Linux...

Yes, because the last time I used PyInstaller on Windows, it worked out of
the box. On Linux, it's a different matter (different kernels, etc).

> OTH, the 'source' directory has subdirectories 'linux' and 'windows'.
Your
> explanation sounds logical and is convincing, so I will need to delve
into
> 'windows' subdirectory.

No, you shouldn't need to. Just follow the instructions: Configure,
MakeSpec, Build.

>From the documentation:

"""
Building the bootloaders

Note: Windows users can skip this step, because PyInstaller already ships
with binary bootloaders.
"""

And once again, you need to run this on a real Windows box. WINE *might*
work, but PyInstaller tracks various Windows dependencies that might not be
in WINE. You cannot build Windows packages on Linux.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za