[PyQt] PyQt and/or Qt problems on Windows Vista

Francesco Biccari biccari at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 21:05:49 BST 2010

Hello,

this is my first post to this list.
I am an Italian researcher. In our lab we would like to move
from Visual Basic (5!) to Python + PyQt.

Unfortunately our first tests were discouraging and I am here to
ask for some advices.

I use Windows Vista 32 bit.
I installed Python 2.6.5 (Windows installer) and
PyQt (PyQt-Py2.6-gpl-4.7.2-1.exe).

We have noticed two issues:

1. programs written with PyQt run slower
than similar programs written, for example, with wxPython.
(however this is not a big issue)

2. All non-trivial PyQt applications make python.exe to crash when we
close the application.

I tried also to compile PyQt by myself but the problems still remain.

Here there is an example of application which show these problems:
http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2009/12/12/tetris-implemented-in-pyqt/
another application is Eric4.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards.