[PyQt] Snow Leopard

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Sep 28 21:20:08 BST 2009

Ah, this verification from the python man page:

"
Note that the preference files and environment variable that apply to
the python command, do not apply when running a specific version of
Python.  In particular, running python2.6 will always default to 64-
bit execution (unless one uses the arch(1) command to specifically
select a 32-bit architecture).
"

Since the system will execute a program with the default arch for the
system, python must fork/spawn/whatever to reexecute with the 32bit
arch.

I remember another problem I ran into, with wxpython.  Since it needs
pythonw, a program started with python must re-execute with pythonw.
This caused a program (GRASS wxpython GUI) to quietly die (even when
forced to run in 32bit mode).  We never had a problem with it before
Snow.  I ripped out the reexecute code and made it start with pythonw
directly, with no problem.

Maybe reexecuting (in 32bit mode, from 64bit mode) is a problem now?

On Sep 28, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Michael Held wrote:

> hey william,
>
> thanks for your hints, you are right:
>
> /usr/bin/python responds to VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT and
> VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION, but NOT to 'arch -i386'
>
> /usr/bin/python2.6 OR /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
> Versions/2.6/bin/python responds to 'arch -i386' but NOT to
> VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT
>
> I "convinced" PyDev to use Apples Python in 32bit (by adding /usr/
> bin/python as interpreter) and forced PyQt4 to the PYTHONPATH of my
> Eclipse project.
> and again - CRASH.
> I add the somewhat meaningless Apple traceback here. maybe it's
> helpful for the core PyQt guys.
>
> thanks a lot!
> michael

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin