[PyQt] PyQt on OSX Snow Leopard notes

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Sep 13 15:41:37 BST 2009

On Sep 13, 2009, at 6:12 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:00:39 -0500, William Kyngesburye
> <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
>>

>> It's not so much a problem of Qt supporting Snow (yes, the mkspec
>> problem, but it seems to be minor), but supporting OSX 64bit, which
>> covers both Leopard AND Snow.  The standard Carbon-based Mac Qt will
>> never be 64bit.  Qt Cocoa is 64bit (I have yet to try it out).
>>
>> And there is now the extra 64bit-ness of Python in Snow now, which
>> causes trouble with Python-based software.  People WILL update to
>> Snow
>> and WILL (and have already) have problems compiling PyQt.
>>
>> Since Qt Cocoa may take a while to be fully functional and in common
>> use, PtQt at least needs some way to deal with a 64bit Python
>> executable (use the arch command where python/pythonw executed when
>> built for Qt carbon).
>>
>> Note: I just figured out the problem with the arch command.  It's not
>> broken.  There are 2 copies of the python and pythonw executables:
>> in /
>> usr/bin and in the Python framework.  The /usr/bin exe's are not
>> symlinks to the framework, and have different file sizes.  For some
>> reason the /usr/bin exe's don't work with arch, but the framework
>> exe's do.  /usr/bin/python2.6 and /usr/bin/pythonw2.6 ARE symlinks to
>> the framework.
>
> I've added a --arch option to SIP's configure.py. It may be
> specified any
> number of times. PyQt's configure.py will also use the information.
>
> I've added a --use-arch option to PyQt's configure.py to tell it to
> use
> arch in the pyuic4 wrapper script. If there is a problem with
> /usr/bin/python then you should run configure.py using /usr/bin/
> python2.6
>
> The changes are in the current snapshots. Let me know if more needs
> to be
> done.

Thanks.  I'll try it out sometime in the next week (busy packaging up
Snow releases), and I'll let you know how it works.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war