[PyQt] question about installation best practices on OS X

Robert Bobbson rbobbson at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 23:55:43 BST 2009

One thing you are going to find out is that Apple isn't the quickest on the draw with updating things like Python.  It's
only recently that they made a move to anything near the 2.6 line, so I
have long since given up on using the stock python if I'm interested in
being up to date version-wise.

With some reservation, I'll
recommend using something like macports to manage these things as they
are maintained up to date, and it takes care of dependencies and other
fun things like library paths, etc.  MacPorts sets things up in /opt.

The reason for the
reservation is that at the time I built PyQt and all the supporting
packages, none of them appeared to have a binary version available for Snow Leopard (this was ~2 weeks ago now).  So, that meant the source had to be
downloaded and built from scratch.  That took about 12 hours on a 2
year old MacBook Pro.
That didn't include the hour or two of tweaking the source packages to
get around some errors and warnings that were slowing down the process
even further.  It brought back warm fuzzy feelings for the Gentoo box
that I just retired a little while ago.

As those source only
options are replaced with binary packages, you should see install
performance comparable to Debian/Ubuntu/RedHat and their package
management tools, with all the corresponding benefits of having a
framework keep track of versions and dependencies.

Even if you don't use macports for pyqt, you might consider it for managing a whole slew of other apps, just like you would on a linux box or a windows+cygwin box.

-Rob