[PyQt] building custom dialogs from a list or from a dictionary

Robert Bobbson rbobbson at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 21:10:36 BST 2009

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a templating application using PyQt, and I'm really not sure how to build the dialog box in order to get the values to fill in the placeholders in the template files.  I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on how to do this "the right way".

My template file looks something like this:

Hi $$name$$, I'd like to tell you $$message$$.

Of course, template files may have any placeholder they need; there is no standard list.  I've tried a couple of ideas out, but nothing is leaping out as the obvious correct way.

I would like to end up with a dialog that looks something like:

(Where the underlines represent the QLineEdit widgets)

I'm pretty much a newbie at this, so I'm not sure how far off I am from a good solution, so any and all advice will be welcome.  None of the tutorials/online pyqt references I've seen mention quite exactly how to deal with this (variable #'s of lineedits with no name to reference them by known prior to run time).

Any insight you folks can provide would be very much appreciated.

-Rob