[PyQt] problem in making pyqt up and running...

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Sun Nov 22 19:33:30 GMT 2009

python.noob wrote:
> Are u trying to say that i should again install SIP and PyQt by downloading
> from sources(not from ubuntu repositories)... If u say yes then if i have to
> install it from the sources do i need to specify any --prefix options like
> in ./configure to install it to the directory where python3 is installed?
> I've installed python3 in /home/jeba/Python3.1.1. I've not specified any
> --prefix options in installing python 3.1.1. Can u please tell me clearly by
> spending your precious time?? I'm completely new to ubuntu and pyqt.. And
> one more question.. Under configuring PyQt in the website it is stated that
>
> to configure SIP by executing the configure.py script. For example:
>
> python configure.py
>
>           If i issue this command again it'll run from 2.6 installation..
> Will it not create the same problem again??? Plz. explain me in detail.. I
> don't want to mess up this time..

the easiest thing to do is use the default install prefix of /usr/local.
this will make sure that your "system" python installation is left
completely untouched.

before going any further, remove anything that you've already tried to
compile and install yourself (but leave all your ubuntu python/pyqt4
packages where they are).

make sure you've the got the latest stable sip and pyqt4 sources from
here: http://www.riverbankcomputing.com.

start by compiling python3 (there's no need to specify a --prefix as it
will default to /usr/local). then install it and test it by starting up
a interpreter (i.e. run the command "/usr/local/bin/python3"). if
everything works okay, close it down.

next compile sip. it is vital that you use the python3 interpreter that
you just installed to configure it. i.e. run "/usr/local/bin/python3
sip_source/configure.py". the output of the configure script will tell
you exactly where everything is going to be installed (e.g. "The SIP
code generator will be installed in /usr/local/bin."). if everything is
okay, make and install sip.

next compile pyqt4. again, it is vital that you use the python3
interpreter that you just installed to configure it. i.e. run
"/usr/local/bin/python3 pyqt4_source/configure.py". once again, the
output of the configure script will tell you exactly where everything is
going to be installed. if everything is okay, make and install pyqt4.
(note that pyqt4 may take quite some time to compile, depending on your
setup).

that should do it!