[PyQt] INSTALL_ROOT & DESTDIR

Jon Grosshart jgrosshart at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 15:02:20 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Phil Thompson
<phil at riverbankcomputing.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:21:59 -0800 (PST), jong357 <jgrosshart at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > jong357 wrote:
> >>
> >> Just a heads up, looks like the designer directory in PyQt-x11-gpl-4.6.1
> >> uses INSTALL_ROOT instead of DESTDIR like the rest of the source seems
> >> use. When packaging, this spams the system, albiet fairly minor. Didn't
> >> bother to track down what qmake was doing but I assume the problem lies
> >> there.
> >>
> >> I'm just using both targets on the make install until this is fixed
> >> upstream. Sorry I didn't troubleshoot and send a patch....
> >>

> > Still does it... I realize this isn't a show stopper issue but spamming
> the
> > host system is a little on the rude side IMO..... ;-)
> >
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.6.2/designer'
> > install -m 755 -p "libpythonplugin.so"
> > "/usr/lib/qt-4.5.3/plugins/designer/libpythonplugin.so"
> > strip --strip-unneeded
> > "/usr/lib/qt-4.5.3/plugins/designer/libpythonplugin.so"
> > cp -f -r /tmp/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.6.2/designer/python
> > /usr/lib/qt-4.5.3/plugins/designer/
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.6.2/designer'
>
> It's put in the directory that Designer expects to find it. If you want to
> put it somewhere else use the -p flag to configure.py.
>
> Phil

I think you've missed the point. When I specify:

make install DESTDIR=/some/place

I expect said software to install to /some/place, not spam my host system
with where "it should go" and to completely ignore DESTDIR.... As far as I'm
aware, the designer directory is the only one that does this. It uses
"INSTALL_ROOT" instead of "DESTDIR"....

This is a problem from a packagers standpoint and should be addressed.

Jon