[PyQt] Re: Updates to sipdistutils.py

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sun Nov 15 12:36:52 GMT 2009

Il giorno dom, 15/11/2009 alle 11.39 +0000, Phil Thompson ha scritto:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:53:34 +0100, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > please find attached an improved sipdistutils.py, and the diff against
> > current version for reference.
> >
> > Modifications:
> >
> >  * Added command line option to pass arguments to sip. Now you can for
> > instance do: "python setup.py build --sip-opts='-e'" to activate
> > exceptions. Or you can put the "sip-opts='-e'" in a local distutils.cfg
> > file in your source directory.
> >
> >  * Fixed invocation of sip.exe under Windows. I still maintain that
> > siputils.py should put the full pathname of sip, including extension,
> > under the "sip_bin" in the configuration, but a quick workaround is
> > needed anyway to make sipdistutils work with all versions of sip.
>
> I consider the extension an implementation detail that shouldn't be
> exposed.

I need the full pathname to compute the checksum. How do I suggest I
find it out then? Should I iterate over supported extensions until I
find the correct one?

> It won't be .exe for SIP v5.

Out of curiosity, what will it be?

> >  * Consider the sip binary checksum as an implicit dependency for build.
> > This is very useful when switching between different sip versions,
> > because everything is automatically recompiled.
> >
> > Coming up:
> >
> >  * As discussed some months ago, I plan to add an option to sip itself
> > to printf() any .sip file it opens. I will then use a dry-run with this
> > option to automatically discover dependencies so to rebuild whenever
> > necessary. This would be a strong improvement over the current state
> > where one must manually list all sip files (theoretically, of all
> > imported modules as well) in the setup.py.
>
> Applied to the trunk.
>
> Feel free to send a patch for the documentation :)

Attached. I assumed most distutils users are not familiar with passing
options to distutils' subcommands, so I elaborated on it a little.

--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.