[PyQt] PyQt apps on OS X--best examples

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sat Nov 7 00:08:33 GMT 2009

The recent improvements in Qt (Cocoa support, Webkit, etc.) on the Mac
have prompted me to revisit PyQt as a development option for my Mac-only
applications. I currently develop with Python/Tkinter and Tcl, and even
with Tkinter's new support for Cocoa, there are still a lot of gaps in
what Tk supports (drag/drop, printing, a robust HTML widget, etc.).

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some PyQt
applications with good support for the Mac that I can look at. This
means more than "it'll run on the Mac if I have PyQt installed." By
"good support," I mean the following:

1. Deployed in the standard Mac fashion, as a standalone application
that can be downloaded.
2. Developed with at least some attention to Mac interface functions,
i.e. it makes use of Qt's built-in support for platform-specific Mac UI
modes where appropriate--sheets for dialogs, Growl and/or statusbar
support, etc.

Good examples of regular Qt applications meeting these criteria include
the Parallels desktop app (a commercial program) and the Last.fm client.
VirtualBox is also a good example. All three show some attention to the
details of Mac UI conventions, and as a result, fit in well with the
platform even if they are built as multi-platform apps.

By contrast, the only PyQt app I've found that meets these criteria is
Anki (http://ichi2.net/anki/index.html), the flash card program. It has
a standalone Mac build, and a polished interface that fits in reasonably
well with other Mac apps. By contrast, I've looked at many other PyQt
apps that fall short on either one of these criteria. Either the apps
lack a standalone Mac build, or if they do, they look obviously like
they were developed for Windows and/or Linux--they have incredibly
crowded toolbars with buttons for every function, they use a
multi-document interface that is highly cluttered, or worst of all, they
show little attention to interface design at all.

I'd be very interested to see other examples of PyQt applications that
show some thoughtful attention to the Mac as a platform, both in their
deployment and their design. Suggestions, links and such are welcome.

Thanks,
Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer