[PyQt] Re: PyQt 4.5 snapshot build (windows and mac)

Michael Held michael.held at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Sun May 17 12:51:13 BST 2009

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 17.05.09 09:13:45, Magnus Benjes wrote:
>>> I was not aware that PyQt goes with mingw32 (what about VC9?). using
>>> mingw which came with Qt4.5 I could build SIP and PyQt (still compiling)
>>> successfully. this article was really helpful:
>>> http://diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/BuildPyQt4Windows
>> There is a build in binary incompatibility between the comercial version
>> of Qt and the open source version on Windows. The open source version is
>> built with Mingw and the comercial version is built with VC. If you want
>> to use Qt with VC you have to buy a comercial licence.
>
> No you don't. Both the GPL and LGPL version of Qt4 build just fine with
> MSVC 2005 or later (IIRC MSVC is supported in the GPL version since 4.3).
>
> Andreas

hi andreas,

thanks for your infos. I installed the non-commercial Qt4.5 binaries and
the PyQt4.5 snapshot, but running nmake for VC9express did only compile
the qtdirs.exe but nothing else, while mingw32-make did the full job.
could it be that Configure.py needs more arguments to setup for VC9?

actually mingw is fine for me, or are there serious implications I do
not know about?

michael