[PyQt] PyQt Licensing

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed May 6 15:29:24 BST 2009

On Wed, 06 May 2009 16:14:05 +0200, "V. Armando Solé" <sole at esrf.fr>
wrote:
> Phil Thompson wrote:
>>> Does that license give you the right to ship as many instances of the
>>> program as you want?
>>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> Phil
>
> Does the shipped program have to use a signed python interpreter to
> prevent further use of PyQt?
>
> It's not clear to me because in case the shipped program is not signed,
> it would behave as being LGPL and, while that is fine concerning the Qt
> license, I do not know if it's still fine with you.

It has never been a requirement to use a signed interpreter - that's just
one way of preventing your users from contravening the license. What is
appropriate depends on the nature of your application and the nature of
your users. Ultimately it's your decision as you are responsible. I'm happy
to have a separate conversation if you have something specific in mind.