[PyQt] QSystemTrayIcon::showMessage VistaX64

Philippe Fremy phil at freehackers.org
Sun Mar 1 15:21:40 GMT 2009

Ian Jones wrote:
> I'm curious if other people have been able to use this feature successfully.
>
> Computer specs:
> Python 2.6.1 (32bit) (python.org)
> PyQt 2.6-gpl-4.4.4-2.exe (from riverbank website)
>
> Running the examples/desktop/systray/systray.pyw that came with pyqt
>
> The window opens, icons appear in the system tray, change icon etc but
> the balloon message never appears.
>
> The docs say it is supported on 'All supported versions of Windows'
> and I am assuming Vista is on that list but I couldn't find the actual
> list to compare it to.

I've got the exact same problem, but on windows XP.

Since the same program produces different output on my or on a different
computer, I guess it's somehow related to the computer configuration.
But I could not find anything related to showing messages in the systray
in the control panel.

Since we both have the issue, maybe we can identify the source of the
problem by checking something common in our configuration ?

I am running virtual desktop manager from Microsoft, maybe that's what
is causing the problem. Are you running any kind of software that could
alter systray behavior ?

cheers,

Philippe