[PyQt] Re: py2app generates huge files (200MB)

piotr maliński riklaunim at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 12:52:56 BST 2009

Debug libraries don't get excluded by "excludes" list so they will have to
be removed. Also the package includes everything needed to run it - also
some Python components.
/Contents/Resources/lib/ 9,5 MB in my case
/Contents/Frameworks/  24,8 MB

And it zipps to 12MB

Note that the resulting binary has some symlinks (in libs for example) and
calculating size on Mac OS X will count the symlinked (alias) files in :) So
check zipped size :)

If you used Qt with Qt Creator or custom Qt compilation on Intel Mac then
you have Intel-only Qt and you will get Intell only App. If you used the Qt
DMG without Qt Creator then you got Universal Qt and your app will be
universal and DOUBLE size :) (22-24MB Zipped for qtcore/qtgui app).