[PyQt] Deploying PyQt4 on Linux

ion vasilief ion_vasilief at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 25 09:18:57 BST 2009

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to deploy an application ("my_app")
that uses Qt, Python, PyQt4 and SIP on Linux in a distribution
independent way (meaning that even if there are other default versions
of these libraries installed on the system, my_app will load at run
time the symbols from the libraries I have built it against).
My idea was to deploy all the necesarry dependencies in the /usr/local/my_app/lib folder.

Therefore
I have compiled Qt 4.5.1 and Python 2.6 with the
--prefix=/usr/local/my_app option. After that I have built SIP and
PyQt4 using Qt/Python versions previousely built. Finally I have
compiled my application against all these libraries. At run time, PyQt4
still loads the default Qt 4.5.0 installed on the system (in /usr/lib),
instead of the Qt 4.5.1 version from the /usr/local/my_app/lib folder.
The only solution I have found is to modify the QTDIR environement
variable, but I don't want to mess with that when I deploy my
application.

My question: is there a way to force PyQt4 to load the symbols from the Qt version it was built against?

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards,
Ion