[PyQt] QDataWidgetMapper and default values

Scott Frankel frankel at circlesfx.com
Mon Jul 6 06:27:13 BST 2009

Hello,

Is there a way to specify a default value for a Data Widget Mapper if
a user leaves a mapped field  empty?  The mapper appears to ignore the
db schema's default declarations.  Ideally, I'd like to insert Null.
Something analogous to this:

	test=# INSERT INTO gear (name, addr) VALUES ('qwe', Null);

My test case example has a table with a MACADDR field.  There are
times when a user would enter a valid macaddr and times when the
macaddr field should be left blank.  Note that the QSQLITE driver
happily allows the field to be filled-in or not.  But the QPSQL driver
appears to validate the macaddr field.  When empty, this causes the
mapper's model to fail with an invalid input syntax error on
submitAll().  eg:

	ERROR: invalid input syntax for type macaddr: "" QPSQL: Unable to
create query

Attached please find a simple example program, mapperTest.py, and a db
schema file, test_db.sql.  (Not sure how to combine the two into a
single .py file.)  To recreate the db from the cmd-line:

	% createdb test
	% psql test < test_db.sql

Thanks in advance!
Scott