[PyQt] A tool to create "pythonic" Qt help files

Roberto Alsina ralsina at kde.org
Mon Feb 23 13:42:22 GMT 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 11:31:03 Antonio Valentino wrote:
> Il giorno Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:11:14 -0200
>
> Roberto Alsina <ralsina at kde.org> ha scritto:
> > If you intend to use PyQt's QtHelp support, then maybe you will like
> > this tool I did to create Qt Help files from restructured text:
> >
> > http://rst2qhc.googlecode.com
> >
> > It takes care of creating the XML files describing the structure of
> > the docs, inserts keywords, creates TOCs, and more, all starting from
> > almost plain text files.
> >
> > Use the SVN, it's much bettern that version 0.1, and specially check
> > the example to see how it works.
> >
> > Hope you like it!
>
> Hi Roberto,
> I didn't look at your tool yet.
> Some time ago I submitted a patch for sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/)
> to make something very similar to what you described above.

I saw sphinx had it, never tried it, though.

> At the moment it still doesn't work very well and it is still
> incomplete.
>
> Are you aware of the existence of a qthelp builder for sphinx?
> How does your tool compares with sphinx qthelp builder?

Well, not having tried it yet, I am not able to give you a honest comparison
:-)

However, rst2qhc tries to work with plain rst files, one manual per file,
instead of the structure sphinx creates/requires. I expect it to be simpler.
And 0.2 (released 2 minutes ago) is pretty much feature-complete for what I
wanted.