[PyQt] Any Large PyQt Projects?

Kovid Goyal kovid at kovidgoyal.net
Thu Feb 19 23:57:50 GMT 2009

I'm the lead developer of calibre (http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net) which is
~120k lines of python + another few thousand lines of C code.

I've found in general that you can quite easily use multi-processing instead of
multi-threading to get around the global interpreter lock (this assumes that your
algorithms dont require lots of data passing). For performance/os
interface sections of the code, it's easy enough to write C modules to do the
neccessary work. It occassionally becomes neccessary to drop down to C for high
performance parts of the GUI as well, though i can't comment on OpenGL.

Basically, python will work very well for about 90-95% of what you need to do,
for the rest, write C modules. Interfacing Python and C is trivial.

Kovid.