[PyQt] i18n

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Wed Feb 11 20:05:13 GMT 2009

On 2/11/2009 8:14 PM, Kovid Goyal wrote:
> Ditch the whole Qt translation infrastructure. Simply postprocess the output
> of pyuic4 to replace the calls to QtCore.QCoreApplication.translate() with _()
>
> Then you can use gettext and the nice translation infrastructure in launchpad.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a Windows translation program better than
Linguist. Do you have any suggestion? Did you personally evaluate
Linguist and are aware of its features?

(OK, Linguist can now import .po files too, but then I don't see the
point of using an external translation package).

Plus I'm not sure gettext has the advanced plural support (does it?).

> This has the additional advantage of not tying in your translation
> infrastructure to a graphical toolkit.

Given how simple is to batch-substitute tr() to _() (so simple that
you're even suggesting it yourself), I don't really see a point here.
Converting the whole application to another toolkit would probably be
much harder in the first place.
--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.