[PyQt] Support for Qt v4.6

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Dec 22 10:06:24 GMT 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:05:00 +0100, Attila Csipa <pyqt at csipa.in.rs> wrote:
> On Monday 21 December 2009 16:35:43 Phil Thompson wrote:
>> Looks like you aren't using a current SIP snapshot.
>
> Indeed, I missed the comment about sipError in the SIP changelog. As
> always,
> it's best to use paired SIP/PyQt snapshots, but when build times near
10+
> hours, people tend to try to take shortcuts :) Sorry for the mild panic.

That's why you should cross-compile. The SIP/PyQt build system does not
support cross-compilation, but it can be achieved, by manually editing the
generated Makefiles.

For instance, for SIP, it is sufficient to modify siplib/Makefile and
replace all occurrences of gcc/g++/strip with your cross toolchaing (eg:
arm-gcc, arm-g++, arm-strip). Of course, you might also need to add some
standard include/library paths (if your toolchain doesn't add them already)
and flags like "-msoft-float" or similar, but you get the idea. You don't
need to modify sipgen/Makefile of course, since you need a sip binary for
the host computer, not the target.

I think that the correct fix would be to modify SIP's configure to support
two different platforms: host and target (the former used to build sipgen,
the latter for siplib).
--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.