[PyQt] PyQt Examples crash on Vista

Nicolas Reinschmidt nicolasr at gmx.net
Sun Dec 6 19:08:36 GMT 2009

Hi,
not sure whether this is more PyQt or more Python related:

I have installed on Windows Vista Home Premium:

Python 2.6
PyQt 4.6.2 for Python 2.6

When I start the "PyQt Examples and Demos" menu everything
seems to work fine. I can start each of the demos and it
again looks fine. However, upon closing each demo Windows says:

pythonw.exe has stopped working

The same finally happens when closing the demo menu itself.

Looking at the Windows error events viewer shows this

Fehlerhafte Anwendung pythonw.exe, Version 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel 0x4ae54f49, fehlerhaftes Modul ntdll.dll, Version 6.0.6002.18005, Zeitstempel 0x49e03821, Ausnahmecode 0xc0000005, Fehleroffset 0x00066796, Prozess-ID 0x1368, Anwendungsstartzeit 01ca767f5d02a8e0.

which I would roughly translate to:

Faulting application pythonw.exe...Faulting Module ntdll.dll...Exception code 0xc0000005

The exception code corresponds to 'Access violation'

Interestingly the same combination of Python and PyQt works without this error on Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance,
Nicolas