[PyQt] Is PyQt really freeing memory?

Albert Cervera i Areny albert at nan-tic.com
Tue Aug 11 22:39:29 BST 2009

A Dimarts, 11 d'agost de 2009, Phil Thompson va escriure:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:10:58 +0200, Albert Cervera i Areny
>
> <albert at nan-tic.com> wrote:
> > A Dimarts, 11 d'agost de 2009, Phil Thompson va escriure:

> memory

> freeing

> how

> >> disconnect()

> >> The proxies that are created to allow Python callables to be used as Qt
> >> slots are destroyed using QObject::deleteLater(). As your example
>
> doesn't
>
> >> have an event loop they never get destroyed.
> >>
> >> In tonight's snapshot I've changed the implementation so they get
> >> destroyed
> >> immediately as it does simplify the code a little.
> >
> > Thank you very much. By the way, is there a reason why creating 100.000
> > objects uses only 21564 Kb and connecting them to a slot uses 64992 Kb.
>
> It
>
> > seems a lot of memory for "just" connecting signals...
>
> It's not to a slot, it's to a Python callable that needs a proxy to make it
> look like a slot. The proxy is bigger than the original object (as it does
> more).
>
> You can prevent the creation of a proxy by making sure the "slot" is a real
> Qt slot by using the @pyqtSlot decorator.

Thanks again Phil. I modified the test application and run several tests to
compare how the several options affect to memory usage and performance. Here
are the results in my computer.

                    MEMORY     TIME
Without signals     21572Kb    0.96s
With slots          32576Kb    4.07s
Python Callable     64988Kb    5.25s

Maybe it'd be good to add to the reference guide that using decorators is both
faster and more memory efficient.

--
Albert Cervera i Areny
http://www.NaN-tic.com