[PyQt] Populate Model data in a separate thread

Demetrius Cassidy dcassidy36 at mass.rr.com
Mon Apr 27 08:39:22 BST 2009

How many items do you need to populate in your model class? Unless you are
populating a view with thousands of items, I do not suggest threads at all
since they can be dangerous if you do not know how to use them.

If you absolutely needed to do this, my approach would be to have some sort
of method I could call on my dialog to fetch items in a separate thread in
the model, and once I have my data I could populate myself and call the
appropriate begin/end methods on my QAbstractItemModel class.

If I knew what you were trying to accomplish, then maybe I could give you
some better guidance.