[PyQt] Re: PyQt4 and Python 3.0

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Oct 7 17:06:05 BST 2008

On 10/7/2008 7:07 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:30:49 -0500, "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> etc),
> while

> that

> eventually

>>> I disagree, for several reasons:
>>>
>>>  - Doing the changes separately means maintaining three separate
>>>    versions of PyQt at once, taking more of Phil's time and promoting
>>>    confusion.
>>>
>>>  - Many Linux distros are unlikely to support all three versions at
>>>    once.
>>>
>>>  - The QString changes are somewhat related to Python 3's unicode
>>>    string changes.  Both changes would affect the same portions of
>>>    application code.
>>>
>>>  - I agree that porting an application with both sets of changes is
>>>    tougher than doing one change alone, but it's still easier to
>>>    thoroughly test my applications once, rather than twice.
>>
>> My humble opinion:
>>
>> Take some time with the community, collect opinion on all the bad
>> parts of PyQt, and then make a clean break to rewrite PyQt4 for Python
>> 2.6, making use of future features whenever possible.
>
> I definitely won't be targeting 2.6 for anything. The idea that people will
> move their 2.x code to 2.6, and then move it again to 3.0 is, to me, crazy.

FWIW, it's what every business user of Python I'm in contact with is
going to do.

I can't see an application with eg. 50K lines of Python code being
rewritten from scratch for Python 3.0 so that it ends up being 20%
slower on 3.0, and you get a couple years of development with no
intermediate releases.

Instead, migrating any codebase of moderate size to a new 2.x version is
usually quite easy (once all the 3rd party libraries are out of course)
and doesn't take more than a couple weeks altogether. It also has the
immediate benefits of getting the speedup of the new compiler and the
new builtin libraries/functions. So the tradeoff is usually acceptable.

Once the application is so trivially moved to 2.6, it can be slowly
moved to 3.0 feature by feature, module by module, by the means of
future imports and -3. This will probably take *years* after 3.0 is out
because it won't never be a priority (and by that time, I also hope 3.0
will be faster). And this is s perfectly fine and within the timelines
that Guido proposes for Python 2.x and 3.x.
--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.