[PyQt] Re: PyQt4 and Python 3.0

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Mon Oct 6 23:04:06 BST 2008

On 2008-10-06, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
[snip]
> "PyQt5" seems confusing to me when/if Qt5 comes out (and I always find
> confusing that PyQt4 version number is too similar to Qt version number;
> I'd go for something totally different like "PyQt4 version 18").

I also think PyQt5 would be confusing; and agree with Giovanni that a
completely different numbering scheme for PyQt would be better. At first
I used to think that say, PyQt 4.2 meant you needed Qt 4.2, when in fact
you can use earlier Qt 4's with it. Something like PyQt4-25 or PyQt4/25
suggests to me "version 25 of PyQt4 for Qt 4.x" Or maybe something more
explicit: PyQt25/Qt4?

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy