[PyQt] PyQt4 and Python 3.0

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sun Oct 5 13:11:45 BST 2008

Hello,

Phil Thompson wrote:
> Major transitions (Qt3 => Qt4, Python2 => Python3) should be considered as
> opportunities for rewrites. They should not be treated as "how can I get
> from one to the other with as few changes as possible".

I thought the way the Python guys handled Python 3 was very good. Just
break what (really) needs to be broken and clear the way for future
enhancements. Although porting of applications is still needed, they've
stayed away from trivial and stylistic 'fixes' to Python and the libs
which bring a lot more porting work for little real world gain. Things
like changing the naming of classes and modules names etc fall into the
stylistic change category in my book.

I hope Phil can stick to the really needed stuff. Porting stuff from
Qt/KDE 3 to 4 has proven to be draining work which I hope to avoid
having to do again in the near future.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/