[PyQt] PyQt4 and Python 3.0

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Fri Oct 3 17:08:49 BST 2008

On 2008-10-03, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 17:11:19 +0200, Detlev Offenbach
>
> <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > will there be PyQt4 support for Python 3.0 once it goes final?
>
> Not straight away. I will take the opportunity to break backwards
> compatibility (eg. removing QVariant, QString, QChar, QByteArray etc),
> and those changes will be made over a period of time. So it may be a
> while before the API is stable enough for anything other than playing.

I've been waiting for someone to mention this...

Here's my personal "wish list" for Python 3/PyQt4 (including those that
Phil is going to do as he says above):

- No QString, only str, plus some static functions for things that str
  doesn't provide, e.g., QString.simplified(s : str) -> str
- No QByteArray, only bytes (or bytearray)
- No QVariant, only object
- Guarantee that "from PyQt4.QtGui import *" and similar will only
  import objects whose name begins with capital Q.
- Make PyQt more Pythonic. So use exceptions not error codes, for
  example, make QFile.open() raise an exception on error. Also, provide
  QDataStream.readColor(), QDataStream.readHostAddress(), etc., i.e., a
  reader and a writer _method_ for every QDataStream type for those
  allergic to << and >>.
- Support Qt collection types that don't have Python equivalents, e.g.,
  QMap (with bytes keys and values) and QVector (with bytes items), plus
  wrappers so that strs can be used (just like the bsdb module offers).
- Support super() so that it can be used in PyQt subclasses just like
  any other subclasses.

;-)

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy