[PyQt] How to change the Drag & Drop cursor during a drag operation?

Ron Longo ron.longo at cox.net
Mon Nov 17 22:33:52 GMT 2008

I'm porting a Tkinter application to PyQt.  This is my first time using PyQt so I realize I may be doing this all wrong.  My application includes a QTreeView backed by my own model.  The view provides the user a means to hierarchically create, edit and organize large amounts of information.  Ordering of the nodes in the tree is important.  Consequently I've implemented several ways for the user to reorganize the tree including drag and drop reordering.

To implement all of this I've subclassed QTreeView and overridden mousePressEvent(), mouseMoveEvent(), dragMoveEvent(), dragEnterEvent(), dragLeaveEvent() and dropEvent() (as per the drag and drop documentation in TrollTech's Qt distribution).  In my constructor I have the following code:

      self.insertBefore_cursor  = RES.getDragCursor('OutlineView','DnD_insertBeforeCursor')
      self.insertAfter_cursor   = RES.getDragCursor('OutlineView','DnD_insertAfterCursor')
      self.insertChild_cursor   = RES.getDragCursor('OutlineView','DnD_insertChildCursor')

RES is a subclass object of python's SafeConfigParser which reads ini files.  My getDragCursor() reads in the following lines

[OutlineView]
DnD_insertBeforeCursor  = resources/cursors/arrow_insertBefore.png:14:12
DnD_insertAfterCursor   = resources/cursors/arrow_insertAfter.png:14:12
DnD_insertChildCursor   = resources/cursors/arrow_insertChild.png:22:12

getDragCursor() returns a tuple of two:  a QPixmap and a QPoint (the hot spot).  Next my dragMoveEvent()

   def dragMoveEvent( self, event ):
      referenceIndex,relation = self._dnd_insertionPos( event )

      if relation == 'before':
         pixmap, hotspot = self.insertBefore_cursor
      elif relation == 'after':
         pixmap, hotspot = self.insertAfter_cursor
      elif relation == 'child':
         pixmap, hotspot = self.insertChild_cursor
      else:
         raise Exception()

      self.drag.setDragCursor( pixmap, QtCore.Qt.CopyAction + QtCore.Qt.MoveAction )
      self.drag.setHotSpot( hotspot )

_dnd_insertionPos() calls event.pos(), does a bit of math and returns a tuple consisting of the referenceIndex (a QModelIndex for the item over which the mouse cursur is hovering) and a relation string ('before', 'after' or 'child').  I use this second value to select a cursor.

When I run my software and attempt a drag, all I see is the built-in drag cursor.  My own cursors are never displayed.  However, if I put a break point after the setDragCursor(), my cursor DOES get displayed.  This leads me to suspect that I may need to make some sort of call after setDropCursor() to give the event loop or drawing routines some processor time.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry about all the text here.  I wanted to be sure to provide enough info to allow a diagnosis.  Also, sorry that I haven't provided any runnable code to get a clearer indication of the problem.  There's quite a bit of code and I wasn't able to trim it down to a decent sized-example.  My complete project is up in googlecode in a project called MindTree if more context is needed to help diagnose this (or if you're just curious).