[PyQt] Re: PyQt 4.4.2 / SIP 4.7.6 in custom directories : API version mismatch (3.6 instead of 3.7)

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Fri May 30 10:56:29 BST 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008 10:18:13 am jbd wrote:
> Phil Thompson wrote:
> > No - you can only have one installed, unless you do some juggling with
> > PYTHONPATH.
> >
> > Phil
>
> Ok, i have the debian sip version installed but i use PYTHONPATH to be
> able to use PyQt4 (i remove the debian python-qt4 to be sure. A simple
> python -c "import PyQt4" works fine).
>
> Before launching my python interactive shell, i run :
>
> $ export
> PYTHONPATH=$STATIC_LIBS_DIRECTORY/lib/python2.4/site-packages/:$PYTHONPATH
>
> $ ls $STATIC_LIBS_DIRECTORY/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
> libsip.a  PyQt4/  sipconfig.py  sipconfig.pyc  sipdistutils.py
>
> I'm doing something wrong, or i forgot to do something.
>
> Thank you for taking time responding my not so related pyqt questions.

What's libsip.a doing there? It will be ignored and any sip.so later in
PYTHONPATH will be used.

If you want a static sip module then you must link it with your interpreter
and tell the interpreter source code that sip is a builtin module. In other
words you need a complete separate Python installation with a bespoke
interpreter.