[PyQt] Re: PyQt 4.4.2 GPL installer / missing DLL

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Sun May 25 10:54:25 BST 2008

On Sunday 25 May 2008 10:15:51 am Pierre Raybaut wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 14:49:33 +0200 From: Thorsten Kampe
> > <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de> Subject: [PyQt] Re: PyQt 4.4.2 GPL
> > installer / missing DLL To: pyqt at riverbankcomputing.com Message-ID:
> > <g192tv$ftg$1 at ger.gmane.org> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> > * Python(x,y) (Sat, 24 May 2008 09:33:00 +0200)

> > I had this problem, too (just not with Matlab). I copied the DLLs to the
> > site-packages/PyQt4 folder. Not a clean solution but it works. Another
> > possibility would be to /move/ the exes and DLLs to the pyd folder. But
> > then Qt Assistant might not find the help files.
> >
> > Thorsten
>
> Thanks Thorsten, good to know.
> If it works, why not doing it directly in the PyQt4 GPL installer, Phil?
> In fact, that would be great if the "add directory to PATH" thing would
> not be necessary any more, just like before (with the 4.3.3 release).

The previous installer was buggy in this respect. If you chose a different
installation directory then things tended not to work. With the current
installer things should still work no matter what the installation directory
is. That's the behaviour that most people want.

If I were you I'd ignore the PyQt installer (in the same way I ignore the Qt
installer) and install PyQt from your own installer in a way that suits your
users.

Things might change with Python v2.6 which will be built with MSVC 2008. I
will probably include a copy of Qt built using the same compiler (so that the
phonon module will be supported) instead of the MinGW compiled version from
Trolltech. I'm not sure if the use of manifests will avoid the problem.