[PyQt] dbus and PyKDE

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Mar 30 06:18:00 BST 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 10:11, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> I'm trying to get a printer applet into KDE (see kde-core-devel),
> however I can't actually use pyKDE because oxygen style and
> KApplication load QtDbus which causes the application to freeze when
> I'm using python-dbus.
>
> For example this app freezes when using KApplication but not when
> using QApplication.
>
> http://kubuntu.org/~jriddell/tmp/minimal.py
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to work around this?

I haven't ignored this - I just need to rebuild PyQt with dbus support to
check it out (and had another bug fix in the queue)..

I also don't have the Python cups module, and can't seem to find it for SuSE
10.3 (download.opensuse.org is also down at the moment). Any idea where I can
find the source for it? I doubt it's the problem though, but won't know until
I finish rebuilding.

QtDBus shows up if you ldd any of the PyKDE4 modules, but it's not expressly
linked by PyKDE4, so one of the Qt or KDE libs is sucking it in.

And - menus don't work in PyKDE4 with the Oxygen theme. Haven't gotten to that
yet either (and am not looking forward to it).

Jim