[PyQt] 10.7: super and PyQt classes

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Sun Jan 20 09:44:17 GMT 2008

On 2008-01-18, Aaron Digulla wrote:
> Aaron Digulla schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Please clarify the docs
> > (http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Docs/PyQt4/pyqt4ref.html#super-and-pyq
> >t-classes):
> >

> > Does that mean super() can't / shouldn't / mustn't be used when deriving
> > from PyQt classes? What is the fix?
> >
> > Maybe give an example what won't work and how to fix it or provide a
> > link to additional information in the SIP docs or something.
>
> Anyone? I'm using super() and all the examples in the book "Rapid GUI
> Programming with Python and Qt" uses super() when they derive from PyQt
> classes, so I'm confused why the reference docs say one shouldn't use
> it. Mark, maybe you can shed some light onto this?

super() (at least in Python 2.x) is a bit controversial (see
comp.lang.python of old). Nonetheless, GvR has provided it and supports
its use, so I use it where I can.

You can use super() in a PyQt subclass's initializer (as I do). But you
can't use it in other methods because PyQt uses lazy attribute lookup to
improve performance, so in a sense the base class methods don't exist
until directly accessed (which is why we must use base class calls
rather than super()---which is indirect---in other methods).

If you prefer a more rigid consistency, you could simply not use super()
at all, and always use base class calls (rather like C++).

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu