[PyQt] problem with passing arguments to a slot

sschoellhammer sschoellhammer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:15:22 GMT 2008

Hello everybody,

I really like PyQt but I have one crucial problem. For some reason I cannot
pass an argument from a signal to my own slot function. If there isn't any -
like a simple "clicked()" signal it all works ok but once I have anything
with an argument my own function doesnt even seem to get called :/  Here's a
little bit of code:

import sys
from PyQt4.Qt import *

class MainWindow(QMainWindow, Ui_MainWindow):
	def __init__(self, parent = None):
		QMainWindow.__init__(self, parent)
		self.setupUi(self)

		self.connect(self.btnSetAnimRoot, SIGNAL("clicked()"),self.browse)
		self.connect(self.lineEditAnimRoot, SIGNAL("textChanged ( const QString &
text )"),self.test)
		self.connect(self.lineEditAnimRoot, SIGNAL("returnPressed ()"),self.test2)

	#this function doesnt work - it doest even seem to get called
	def test(self,text):
		print text

	#if i no parameter is passed there is no problem
	def test2(self):
		print "pressed"

I read this tutorial (http://blog.qgis.org/?q=node/102) and I seem to be
doing exactly the same but I just cant get this to work.

Please if you know help me out, this is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance,
seb