[PyQt] Is the result of SIGNAL() a constant?

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Wed Jan 9 15:20:58 GMT 2008

On 1/9/2008 4:03 PM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Aaron Digulla wrote:
>> Quoting Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk>:
>>> What about...
>>>
>>> foo(const QString &)
>>> foo(QString *)
>> Can you give an example with two signals with the same name and such
>> parameters? I can't imagine to see that for any single class. It
>> *might* happen with signals from different classes but there, we have
>> a clean slate, so I don't think it's an issue unless you can prove me
>> wrong.
>
> I don't have a real example, but that's not the point. The point is that they
> are different as far as Qt is concerned and so both need to be able to be
> represented in the same class (even though the programmer that designed the
> class needs to be shot).

But given that such users can still obtain the same features
(auto-completion, etc.) through usage of constants:

class Foo(QObject):
     SIG_FOO_1 = SIGNAL("foo(QString*)")
     SIG_FOO_2 = SIGNAL("foo(const QString &)")

What is exactly the advantage of supporting this feature out-of-the-box
in PyQt?
--
Giovanni Bajo