[PyQt] Can't build sip as universal binary on Leopard

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Tue Jan 1 23:55:55 GMT 2008

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> This message on Apple's mailing list sheds some insight:
>
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/Xcode-users/2007/Oct/msg00696.html
>
> Essentially, the '-mmacosx-version-min=10.4' flag needs to be passed in
> somewhere. This is necessary because the current OS is now 10.5.
>
> I'm not sure how to patch the toplevel configure.py to obtain the
> correct argument parsing, however. Running the  script with the invocation
>
> python configure.py CFLAGS+='-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
> -mmacosx-version-min=10.4'
>
> builds a single-platform (i386) binary, not a universal binary.
>
> Any hints?

I've gotten things working, in a somewhat tedious way:

1. For sip, I ran "python configure.py -n" to generate a universal
binary makefile, then manually edited the makefile and added
"-mmacosx-version-min=10.4'" to CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LFLAGS.

2. For PyQt, I ran "python configure.py" and then manually edited every
makefile in the directory tree to add "-mmacosx-version-min=10.4'" to
CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LFLAGS.

Things appear to have built as a universal binary. Still, if someone
could suggest how to patch the main configure.py files to avoid all this
manual hacking, that would be much appreciated. :-)

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin