[PyQt] A couple of question about PyKDE4

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Thu Feb 7 20:11:21 GMT 2008

Jim Bublitz wrote:
>> Before I start out with PyKDE4, I have a couple of questions:
>> - what is the preferred build system? cmake or configure.py? Will any of
>> these build system vanish in the future?
>
> I haven't looked lately, but I think Simon is using cmake with the KDE SVN
> version. I'll be continuing to use configure.py. I'm pretty sure Simon will
> want to go with/stay with cmake, and that I'll stay with the configure.py
> setup.

cmake support is needed to make it possible for people to build the
whole kde-bindings module in one (big) go. I've also pulled out parts of
that cmake code and made it possible to install PyKDE programs with it.
Using cmake for a Python program means you also get access to the
existing cmake support for building other KDE related things like
translation (.po) files, docs, and C++ modules if you want to do mixed
development.

>> - are you going to make separate releases of PyKDE4, or will everything
>> be coordinated with the KDE releases?
> I'll probably do separate releases - I'm behind again and won't be releasing
> for a month or two.

If you are adding bug fixes to the KDE 4.0, then you could probably just
skip the extra releases and just release via KDE SVN. KDE bug fix
releases come out once a month these days, and we don't even have to
lift a finger for that to happen. ;-)

> There's also a better set of documentation and a documentation viewer
> (pykdedocs) that integrates tutorials, example programs, docs and will let
> you browse other docs (Python, PyQt, Qt, KDE, etc) locally or online.

> The Ply-based tools will make it a lot easier to develop docs from the KDE doc
> set and is a much easier to maintain bunch of code.

Once the docs are updated, and if the viewer is stable/complete enough,
then we can put it in KDE 4.1.

> The only thing missing in PyKDE4 is Phonon support, which is a little messy
> (or was last time I looked).

IIRC, Phonon will be moving into Qt itself, possibly in Qt 4.4. In which
case it'll become Phil's problem. ;-)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/