[PyQt] Event loop is already running warning message

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Thu Feb 7 12:14:41 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Darren Dale wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A while back I inquired about some warning messages that appear in a
> threaded application at each timeout, which was addressed in a subsequent
> PyQt4 release:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.pyqt-pykde/9800/focus=9803
>
> A similar problem occurs with QCoreApplication, it can be seen by starting
> ipython:
>
> $ ipython --q4thread

> QCoreApplication::exec: The event loop is already running
> QCoreApplication::exec: The event loop is already running
> That warning is also produced at each timeout. Is it possible to silence
> this message?
>
> Thank you,
> Darren

It's not quite the same issue as before because if you change your original
test to use QCoreApplication rather than QApplication then there is no
problem.

It would seem to be an ipython problem. PyQt now does some of what ipython
does and the two implementations will conflict. PyQt allows its own
implementation to be disabled - but I don't know if ipython takes advantage
of that. The relevant functions are QtCore.pyqtRemoveInputHook() and
QtCore.pyqtRestoreInputHook().