[PyQt] qtreeview display speed

Baba-k babakage at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:52:44 GMT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to pyqt and am encountering some problems while trying to
make a custom tree widget (using the model/view classes) that i was hoping
some one here might be able to help me with.

Ive made a custom treewidget which is using a custom view and model. The
view is a subclass of QTreeView and the model a subclass of
QAbstractItemView. The model class takes its data in the form of a custom
item class. Both the custom model and item classes are very similar to the
examples in the docs just with some extra functionality where needed. The
model and view classes are being used in a custom QWidget which is inside a
QDialog.

The tree is designed to show the difference between two hierarchies of data,
the size of these hierarchies can vary. Before calling the 'show' method of
the QDialog object, the items inside the tree are expanded.
The problem I'm having is that when displaying fairly large hierarchies
(7000+ rows) it can take onwards of 10mins for the contents of the widget to
be drawn. If I don't expand the items in the tree before calling 'show' the
it is pretty much instant. Has anyone experienced anything like this before
??

Any ideas or suggestions about this would be very much appreciated :)

thanks alot
 babak