[PyQt] py qt for maya

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Fri Aug 29 22:41:42 BST 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008, Laurent Hamery wrote:

> Im working actually with PyQt into maya 2k8 64 bit so I can tell there
> are way to make it work. I dont want break any confidentiality clauses
> so I cant really descibe how we do it but Im wondering what happen with
> the Qt event loop if you do the way they describe ? I would think it`s
> gonna freeze your maya while the PyQt event loop is running.. but Im not
> really sure..

I don't think they run the PyQt event loop at all, do they?

> For me you will have to run your widgets in separated thread each time
> or you will have to plug the Qt loop into the maya loop in a custom way.

I guess those are other options. It depends on what level of access you
have to the Maya internals.

> If you find more answer about all that I would be really interested too
> !! you can write me directly for more discussion about qt/maya:

I'm not a Maya user, but maybe the original poster to this thread will
take you up on your offer. I wonder if the issues involved with using
PyQt with Maya are similar to those we recently discussed on this list in
the thread about "Using PyQt within an application":

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2008-August/subject.html#20244

David