[PyQt] newbie questions...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 20:31:37 BST 2008

Phil Thompson wrote:
>> That seems weird to put it politely. I would have thought they both had
>> the same interfaces?
>
> It's not a technical limitation. It is to prevent people developing a
> commercial product with the GPL version and then switching to the
> commercial version at the last minute. The PyQt commercial license has the
> same restriction. In reality we would be open to discussion (usually
> involving backdating the purchase of the commercial licenses).

Heh, I'd *love* to see this one come to court ;-)
Seriously, I'm all for licensing that sees companies rewarded for their
hard work, but I'd be seriously interested in how this would be argued
in court...

Thankfully all the stuff I'm developing is open source, so I don't have
that problem :-)

>> Anyway, some questions:
>>
>> - where do I get the Qt Designer from?
>
> It's part of Qt.

Is this Qt for Java or Qt for C++? Which one do I install?

>> - how come PyQt4 isn't on PyPI? (Nowadays I'm used to just specifying
>> packages as egg requirements in a buildout.cfg
>> (http://buildout.zope.org/) but I guess I can't do that with PyQt4?)
>
> PyPI is a PIA to use when you are not using eggs.

Okay, let me rephrase: how come PyQt4 isn't available as an egg?
(for the record, I hate eggs, but the python community has adopted them,
so I'm just attempting to put up and shut up. zc.buildout does offer
some analgesic for the agony)

cheers,

Chris

PS: You going to be at PyConUK?