[PyQt] Construct QVariant from object of user type

Matt Newell newellm at blur.com
Wed Apr 16 23:11:21 BST 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 14:18:26 Arve Knudsen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Phil Thompson
>
> <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Arve Knudsen wrote:
> >  > Phil, any comment on this?
> >  >
> >  > Thanks,
> >  > Arve
> >
> >  Unless you can use the ctor that takes a void* I don't see how you can
> > expect to extend the functionality of a C++ class from Python.
>
> How am I supposed to use the QVariant(int typeOrUserType, const void*
> copy) constructor from Python? The documentation refers to
> sip.voidptr, which I know nothing about, and  to use qVariantFromValue
> which isn't defined.
>
> I need to store objects of a custom class in QVariants, with a certain
> type code (QVariant::Type). The reason I need to do this is that
> QItemEditorFactory is parameterized on QVariant::Type.
>
> Arve

If you look at qmetatype.h, you'll see that it should be possible to create a
mechanism to register custom python classes as QVariant types.  You just need
to implement Constructor/Destructor methods that call Py_INCREF/Py_DECREF.
Then for each custom python type call QMetaType::registerType(...).  This
would need to be implemented in c++ with a python interface.

You could then write a custom QVariant constructor that detects if the python
object's type is registered, and automatically call the QVariant(int
type,void*) ctor, or throws an exception for non-registered types.

BTW, you don't really have to use QItemEditorFactory.  You can use a custom
delegate.  Of course you still have to return the data as a QVariant unless
you go around the QModelIndex::data function, but that would probably tie the
delegate to the model, which might defeat the purpose.

Matt