[PyQt] Catching Qt exceptions in PyQt

Dirk Wagener dwagen at stonethree.com
Fri Sep 7 14:11:19 BST 2007

Hi

I have a piece of code that produces this error:

"Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt.
You must reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions
there. "

I implemented my own app class as follows:

class Application (QtGui.QApplication):
    def __init__(self, argv):
        QtGui.QApplication.__init__(self, argv)

    def notify(self, obj, evt):
        try:
            # Call base class notify.
            return QtGui.QApplication.notify(self, obj, evt)
        except Exception:
            print "Unexpected error:",
string.join(traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info()))
            return False

My code still produces exactly the same error, so it seems that the
exception is still not caught!
What am I doing wrong here?

Kind regards
Dirk Wagener