[PyQt] PyKDE4 Update

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Sep 4 04:52:31 BST 2007

On Monday 03 September 2007 12:52, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 03.09.07 21:08:15, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> > Am Montag, 3. September 2007 18:14 schrieb Jim Bublitz:
> > > The module lineup is about the same as PyKDE3, with a few changes.
> > > kfile has been rolled into the kio module, kabc/kresource are dropped,
> > > kmdi no longer exists, kspell is now in kdecore/kdeui as Sonnet, the
> > > solid module has been added, along with (tentatively) two modules that
> > > allow scripting plugins for the Kate editor.
> >
> > Could you elaborate the reasoning behind dropping kabc/kresource briefly?
> >
> > Is it missing upstream also?
>
> Yes it is. There's some other things that might be cool to have in
> pykde4, like knewstuff, nepomuk and possibly threadweaver as well...

It's not a problem to create more bindings - I ran through the 3 you mentioned
and have sip files and could have compiling code with a few more hours work.

However, there are a couple of problems with that that need to be addressed.

The first is how large should PyKDE be? At some point I'd want to start
splitting stuff off into a second package, and all 3 you mentioned would be
good candidates for that. They're not really central to kdelibs for what I
see as the average user. There are issues of release schedules, bug fixes,
and general maintenance that increase more than linearly with the size of the
code base.

The second issue is why I'm going to insist on demo code. I can get sip to
generate code for all three of those (already have) and with a few more hours
work could get them to compile. But in the process of doing that, I have to
make choices about things to leave in and leave out (the set of h files that
installs is not sufficient, for example), as well as handwrite some code. I
know nothing about threading or knewstuff, and last I heard, Nepomuk was a
14th century martyr and patron saint of Bohemia.

I'll be happy to put together a tarball to play with with any or all three of
those, but none is going into PyKDE or anything else I release until I'm
confident that they work and users can figure out how to apply them. Learning
threading or symantic desktops is not high on my list of priorities, but I'll
get to it eventually (a year or two). Someone can speed that up by
volunteering to debug bindings for those packages AND producing test
code/examples or (at best) a tutorial. Docs I can get for free from the h
files.

Jim